Monday, July 28, 2008

scenes from a coffee shop

Guy comes out on the patio and pulls his pack of Parliaments out. He looks around and then heads to the corner under the tree to have a cigarette. A few minutes later he comes up to the girl sitting at the table adjacent mine and is like "hey Amy... do you have a bike?". Amy's like "do I have a what?".
Asian guy- "Do you own a bike?"
Amy- "Yeah- I have a bike. Why?"
(oofah- that was a mistake Amy)
Asian guy- "Did you know they have a ferry over in Chinatown?"
Amy- "A Ferry?"
Asian guy- "Yeah- they have a ferry... and I wanted to know if you would like to bike there with me."
Asian guy- "Tonight"
Amy- "Tonight?"
Asian guy- "yeah- tonight"
Amy- "I think I'm just gonna work."
(Amy is reading a magazine)
Asian guy- "You have work to do tonight?"
Amy- "Yeah, I was thinking I might work tonight."
Asian guy- "Oh, okay... um, What about tomorrow?"
Amy "Tomorrow?"
Asian guy- "Yeah- tomorrow"
Amy- "I don't know, I think I'm busy tomorrow"
Asian guy- "Your busy tomorrow. Okay. What about the weekend?"

Serious- it when on and on like that for another 5 minutes. Like David Mamet whom I loathe on low batteries. I had to pretend I was so engrossed in my work that I didn't bear witness to any of this- even though I was TWO FEET from their table. I was almost tempted to turn and tell Amy "Cmon- your killing me-throw the guy a bone and make this stop".

Oh- and the imagineers were back (and singing again). They are trying to ruin paradise. If my Irish temper goes past a tipping point they are going to find out why it's tactically better to pick the table with the wrought iron chairs as opposed to the plastic chairs they'll be forced to defend themselves with.

No comments: